Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Very Busy St. Patrick's Day

So, yesterday was St. Patrick's Day. Woke up to a rainy, dreary day - but sent Fisher and Tanner to school and work and got myself dressed for my day. (And it was a good hair day, so how bad could it be?)

I knew I was off to a rough start when I arrived on campus. Parking was at the zero factor, which is typical coming off Spring Break. I circled and circled the lots to no avail. Finally, I found a spot - a spot in the lot right in front of my building no less! Only problem is, a GIANT RED EXPEDITION hogged the line and came into the spot I was eying. And on the other side, a nice standard sedan was parked neatly in the already narrow spots. So obviously I went with it. (Who wants to walk up to a mile in the rain? Not me with my good hair.) So I shoved my nice, clean 4Runner in the spot leaving 3 inches on the GIANT RED EXPEDITION side, and about 6 inches on the sedan side. Literally. This was so tight my "you are about to hit something" beeps were going crazy. Once I had forced myself into this spot, I sat there for a moment contemplating how I was going to actually get out of my car. I weighed the option of exiting through the trunk, but was worried the ladies who hang out in the faculty/staff lounge laughing at people in that lot would be watching. So, since I had the vastness of 6 inches on the sedan side, I decided that was my best bet. I flung myself to the passenger side and proceeded to shimmy my way out of the car. Then, all too proud of myself, headed into the office.

It was a typical day in the College, and about 10 am Tanner asked if I would like to lunch with him. So about 11:30 I headed to meet him for lunch. (After entering the passenger side of my car and flinging myself over the center console to the wheel.) I spoke with my sister on the way to lunch, and she mentioned she wasn't feeling too well - at 34 weeks pregnant with twins. She said it was like she had worked out and her muscles were sore. She had planned to run errands that day (her first day of Spring Break), but decided to relax instead. Tanner and I had a lovely date (he is my favorite), and left about 12:45 heading back to work. I called my sister (on my car system, so both hands were on the wheel mind you), and pulled out in traffic. Heading south in the far right lane (turn lane) - a WHITE IMPALA makes an illegal u-turn, makes it through the left lane of cars (that goes straight), drills me, and speeds off. So. What is a girl to do. Oh. That's right. Get mad and chase them. While honking and yelling. But, not bright enough to just chill and make note of their plate number. Eventually, they turn out in front of oncoming traffic, and I am forced to give up my chase. I pull into a gas station, call 911 and my husband. A nice man who witnessed the scene stopped to give his statement. I am totally fine, but my car had to be towed for repairs. And a bonus - while we wait for the officers to arrive, I had to stand in the humid drizzle. So long good hair day, hello frizzy pony tail. (Complaining story short - since it was a hit and run, we have to pay the deductible from our insurance to get it fixed, organize all the repairs and claims, and I have to carpool with my early bird husband until it is returned. Honestly. I am most annoyed about the carpool life because we do not carry rental car insurance. He gets to work at 8 am. I am more of a 9 am girl. Ok. 9:30.) Tanner took me back to work so he could attend a short meeting, and then promised to come right back so we could go to the repair shop, sign papers, pick up Fisher, and go home to drink Sangria and watch trashy TV.


I tried to call my sister, who was on the phone when it happened. I screamed. She screamed. I said I was just in an accident and hung up on her. She didn't answer. I figured she was napping. Nope. My brother-in-law called me shortly after to inform me she was at triage in labor. I called Tanner, told him to cut the meeting short, and we have to go. Sister was in no way ready for babies. I had to go sign the papers for my car, pick up Fisher and my niece, take them to my parents where my aunt was ready to babysit, and pack hospital bags for Amy and Roman. When Amy arrived in triage she was already 4 cm dilated and 80% effaced. The girl was still breech so they prepped her for a c-section.

Everything went smoothly - mom is fine - babies are fine. The twins will be in NICU for a while since they were early, but thus far have needed no intervention and are breathing independently. Preliminary word is they will be there until they reach 36 weeks (2 more weeks), unless they keep doing so well. (Maintaining body temp and weight) Amy should be in for about 3 days, and I have been tasked with getting everything baby(s) ready. (Cleaning her house and car, getting car seats.. you know, the usual.) Sofie is not impressed at all with her new "big sister" status, and much prefers the only child life. Fisher is completely irritated that he can't play with them. We are thrilled with our new additions, and thankful for a healthy and happy experience!


Meet Sadie Lee (top) 5 lbs 11 oz, and Truman Robert (bottom) 5 lbs 7 oz. Truman came out first, so he could be the oldest. : )

We finally got home around 11 pm, and fell into bed. But have no fear, the husband was up at 6 am to ensure he would still be in the office by 8 am. And I got no Sangria. No trashy TV.  But I was in my office at 7:45 am ready for the day.

Now just counting down until I can hold my new niece and nephew!

(This was taken just Saturday night. We have several March birthdays in  my family, so we have a dinner to celebrate them all. Looks like that table will be a little bigger next year!)




No comments:

Post a Comment